As an individual or corporate Donor
– Are you aware of a cause or organisation outside your home country, which you would be keen to support?
– Are you interested in tax effective cross-border giving?
– As an expatriate, would you like to continue to help the charity you used to in your country of origin in a tax-efficient way?
– Are you concerned about making gifts to quality projects and organisations?
– As a multinational, would you like to hear about flexible and tax effective global corporate giving?
Benefits for Donors:
TGE offers the comfort of a network of prominent grant-making foundations, anchored in each of the countries covered, where they have outstanding relationships with most non-profit organisations and enjoy the confidence of national authorities. They ensure your contribution is allocated to the foreign charitable organisation you have chosen to support.
Quality Review of Beneficiaries
TGE partners’ long-standing experience as grant-makers and intimate knowledge of the non-profit sector in their home country serve your generosity. Their involvement with your gift is your guarantee of the quality of the project and organisation you wish to support.
Tax Effective Cross-Border Giving
Your cross-border donation receives all applicable tax benefits in the country where you pay tax. The Partner foundations’ combined expertise in domestic tax laws secures the most effective tax treatment for your gift in both your own country and the recipient’s.
Flexible and Effective Global Giving Management
TGE enables multinational corporations to freely organise their philanthropic giving to best suit their business strategy and community involvement policy, without having to master different tax laws and national regulations. Created opportunities include centralising all philanthropic giving out of most favourable tax jurisdiction and in accordance with corporate profits, or setting up joint corporate campaigns involving individual contributions by local branches and employees.
Simple and Standard Procedure
A single counterpart – your national foundation, a national phone call or mail in your mother tongue and a regular domestic payment to make gifts to beneficiaries in any of the eligible countries. TGE keeps you informed throughout the procedure and carries out required formalities for tax relief. A 5% contribution is taken on the donated amount for gifts up to 100.000€. For higher gifts, 1% of the amount in excess of the 100.000€ is charged. The maximum operational cost is 15.000€. Banking fees are invoiced when actually incurred.
*Contribution to TGE
A 5% contribution is taken on the donated amount for gifts up to 100.000€.
For higher gifts: 1% of the amount in excess of the 100.000€ is donated to TGE. The maximum contribution is 15.000€.
This contribution helps the TGE mission “enabling philanthropy across Europe” through activities such as finding new partners in all the Member States of the EU, providing free practical information concerning cross-border philanthropy in Europe or attending small amount donations.
“By discretion of the TGE partner, and in agreement with the donor and beneficiary, the contribution can be negotiated in case of extraordinary effort, e.g. complicated due diligence.”
Procedure for a donor wanting to use TGE
As a donor resident in one of the participating countries and wishing to make a gift to a public interest organisation in one of the other member countries, you should:
- Contact the partner foundation in the country of your residence (read the gift conditions of your country below.)
- Your national foundation will establish contact with the beneficiary organisation and the foundation in the recipient country to inform them of the incoming donation.
- If the beneficiary organisation is not yet registered in the network they must do so prior to receiving donations. (please read http://www.transnationalgiving.eu/beneficiaries)
If the evaluation is positive, the donor makes the gift to his home-country foundation which then provides the donor with a tax receipt and transfers the gift to the beneficiary organisation.
Example: Donation from a Spanish donor to a French NGO
Example: Corporate donation from a Swiss donor to a French NGO